02 July 2011

Thankful

Ok, so I know I just wrote about how I survived a car crash yesterday (and if you are reading this without reading that last post, shame on you because that one is the most exciting thing I've posted and you need to read it!) I've been thinking about how thankful I am for everything. I talked to a girl Annalisa that witnessed the accident and she filled in some holes for me. These next couple things are things that for the most part I do not remember for whatever reason. Annalisa saw the car coming towards me, and I tried to get out of the way and instinctively put my hands out in front of me while I did. This was important because it put me on the passenger side of the car instead of directly in the center of the car, and probably saved my life. My knee took out the passenger side headlight first, the impact threw me onto the hood and then into the windshield. My right shoulder hit the windshield first and I flipped over and fell off the car by the driver's side door. In addition, I did not hit my head throughout the entire accident somehow (I'm still not sure how I avoided that). The only head injuries I sustained was a very shallow scrape on my right side and a small chunk of hair was pulled out. Annalisa was right there after the car stopped and apparently I tried to get up but she wouldn't let me (thanks Annalisa). The rest of the accident info, you got from the last blog post. My point to adding the additional information is to not forget any of this and to show that a couple of small hops out of the way probably saved my life. Out of small and simple things do great things come to pass. This saying is very real to me right now.

That just has to do with the accident. I am also thankful for many things that happened post-accident. I received great care from witnesses of the accident and had my roommates/best friends with me the entire time. The EMTs, people at the hospital, and the police officers that were there were very helpful and did their jobs very well. I was lucky to be the only patient in the E.R. at the time, because that meant that I got a lot of attention from the staff and therefore the best care possible. My bishop and his counselor were there at the hospital waiting for me and gave me a blessing as soon as I got home. I am so thankful for that because I believe in the power of priesthood blessings. I had so many people come by and visit me to see if I was okay, and that made me so happy to know that there are people out there who care about me. I got so many inquiries about my state on facebook and via text message and phone calls. I felt so loved that people were so concerned about me. I even got a get well flower arrangement from my parents and an offer from my dad to drive up here. Speaking of those that love me, I have wonderful roommates. I gave them quite a scare, and they were there for me the whole time. They were at the scene of the accident as soon as they heard what happened and then they immediately went to the hospital (one of them riding in the ambulance with me). The one that rode in the ambulance with me was there in my ER room until they took me away for x-rays and even though she thinks she wasn't doing a good job of comforting me, she really did. I was so much less scared because she was there. My roommates took me home from the hospital and immediately got to work taking care of me: elevating my knee adjusting my pillows. One stayed with me while the other two went and got me food from McDonald's and my pain medicine. All day yesterday, they've been answering the door, bringing me food and drink, and helping me go up and down the stairs (a very arduous task fyi), and making sure I was comfortable. They were there supporting me when I had to remove my bandages to clean the wounds and helped me overcome the nausea when I saw my elbow for the first time (deepest cut that I have). They helped me run bath water to make sure the water wasn't too hot and helped me get dressed. My roommate that's a pre-vet major dressed my wounds for me and got me a trashcan because I looked at my elbow again and became nauseous. My other two roommates brought me medicine and water and my laptop and made sure I was ready to go to bed. Today, I woke up this morning and they made me a huge breakfast and brought it to me in bed and provided me with refills of milk. They checked on me every once in awhile, but overall let me sleep. One of my roommates then did me the huge service of washing my hair (I felt so gross with my hair being so gross). She cut two matts out of my hair (last time I brush my hair with asphalt I tell you!) She then put cream in it and braided it so that it wouldn't look crazy. Two of my roommates were then going to go to Family Dollar to take advantage of a sale on Coke for me, but instead helped me go with them so that I could get out of the house and move around like the nurse suggested. The trip didn't last too long because I got too tired and hot, but they brought me home even though they still wanted to stay out. My other roommate that didn't go with us was having a really rough day and still helped me out by staying in the living room with me and just talking to me. My roommates then made and served dinner to me. I don't know if you can tell, but I have the most awesome roommates ever. I'm so grateful for them. I think I would be breaking down crying every few minutes if I didn't have them to take care of me (especially trying to make it up to the stairs to the bathroom, the stairs are my enemy!)

My very long winded point is that I have a lot to be grateful for. I know that my Heavenly Father has been watching over me throughout this whole experience and I know that He will continue to watch over me. Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me in anyway (even just talking to me on facebook, because I've been really bored!)

No comments:

Post a Comment