18 February 2011

Thinking and Empowerment

So, as usual, I've been doing a lot of thinking. I've got major family issues, and I'm starting to realize that I don't really have family anymore outside of my mom and my dad and maybe my grandmother. It's really hard, but I was thinking that even though we've always been closest to this particular branch of family, when have they ever been there for me. Ever since I was younger, I've always been on my guard to not say certain things around them because it would make them mad. How confusing is that to tell a seven year old that something you say could make your big, mighty uncle mad? Anyway, this conflict has been going on since my grandfather died, which was when I was either six or seven. At the beginning, the cordiality was there, but it's been waning until now it's full out warfare. I've realized that I don't really need them. They've never done anything for me, except a 10% discount at Marshalls the few times I've been there. I even remember at my own high school graduation party, my aunt and uncle were making fun of me! They were talking about how stupid I actually was, and my aunt graduated high school with a 4.0 (I only had a 3.8, I'm THAT stupid). You know what? My aunt never went to college. She's been working retail her whole life: Toys R Us, Franks (it was a craft store that I think is out of business now), and Marshalls. My uncle doesn't have much to say either because he moves boxes for a living. Neither of them went to college and yet they sit on their high horses thinking that they somehow have command over everyone. They actually think that they are extremely affluent people in our community. No one knows their names. Where do these delusions of grandeur come from? Anyway, their hypocrisy makes me mad, because they call me stupid (woo hoo, you insulted your teenage niece, good one) and yet I'm going to college right now (something they never could/would have done) and I'm graduating a year early with a degree in Neuroscience along with a concentration of literature classes and med school prep classes. I am then going to graduate school to get a master's degree in Physician's Assistant Studies. That's right, I'm basically going to be a doctor without all the extra school. I also happen to be going into one of the fastest growing careers in the medical field. I won't be getting paid much less than a doctor either.

Sounds hard, I know. It's going to be. A scripture came to mind while I was thinking about all of this. Philippians 4:13 "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (I added the emphasis). You know what? Maybe they have their egos to keep them warm at night, along with the funny looking Knights of Columbus costumes (did I mention that he's Head Knight???? whoopdeedoo!) However, if I keep on doing what I'm supposed to do, I have Christ's strength to help me achieve my goals and to change the world for the better. Can anyone beat that or am I good?

Today's going to be a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment