20 March 2011

Release...

So I've just had a talk with a roommate of mine that I haven't exactly gotten along with throughout the semester. I could never pin down a specific problem, but things always seemed tense I guess. She just came and talked to me about things that have been going on all semester. Basically, I have been doing stuff and not doing stuff that I haven't even been aware of that has made her think that I'm a terrible person! When she told me I thought about it, and I realized that it was all true. It was stuff that I never even thought about. For example, when we drive to church, I have been walking way ahead of her and my other roommate. I sort of realized this, because I'm naturally a fast walker, but to her it made it seem like I didn't want to be seen with her or something. This totally makes sense, but I didn't even realize it until she pointed it out. She also pointed out that I haven't said thank you for things that she's done for me, namely giving me rides to church. There's absolutely no excuse for that one. I didn't realize I wasn't doing it, but I definitely should have. There's other stuff too, but basically I feel bad that all this tension came down to some small things that if I had noticed I was doing, I could have fixed them and we would have had a much more pleasant semester. I've racked my brain sometimes trying to figure it out, what it is that I could be doing wrong. All this time, I had no idea...I'm glad she ended up saying something to me though, so at least I can fix it for what's left of the semester. I can understand why she would not have said something though, because they seem like such small things, but the small things add up, especially over time. I probably would have reacted in a similar way. I'm mainly posting this to kind of clear my head, because when someone approaches you in a certain way asking to talk to you and you get that gut wrenching feeling with a side of fear? That's kind of what I'm trying to release right now...It just goes to show that I am once again being reminded of things that I need to do better. I really should show appreciation more. It doesn't really do anyone any good if I'm the only one that knows that I'm appreciative of something.

2 comments:

  1. It's good that you posted this. It will help us all remember to be more aware of the little things we do, or don't do, that affect others. I remembered on the way home from our friend's house tonight that Artene made the bed this morning. He's always out the door just moments after he wakes up in the morning, so he never does it. I forget to tell him thank you because I was crazy busy getting us all ready for church this morning. So now...when we go to bed, I'm going to thank him because it means a lot that he would help me out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny the little things that cause misunderstandings? And that you don't even realize it! I think a lot of problems come down to ignorance and a lack of communication. You'll just have to remember this for future reference. And maybe trying this out too, talking to the people you're having problems with. It's amazing what a simple conversation can do for living situations.

    ReplyDelete